Mexborough and Swinton Times October 29, 1937
Goldthorpe was, in the words of one of those present, “put on the map” on Wednesday, when the West Riding Federated Chamber of Trade set a precedent by holding their autumn meeting in the Goldthorpe Welfare Hall.
A good number of delegates attended from all parts of the Riding, and the chair was taken by the president, Councillor B.C. Walls, Skipton.
Delegates were welcomed to Goldthorpe by the president of local branch (Mr GM Lewis) who apologised for the absence of Ald G Probert (Chairman of the Dearne UDC) who had been at the last minute summoned to an important meeting at Wakefield. Ald Probert would, however, join them later and extend a welcome on behalf of the townspeople.
He, Mr Lewis, felt a great honour to welcome delegates to Goldthorpe, and he felt sure that the members of the local Chamber were proud to be singled out for the honour that had been conferred upon them. They had been looking forward to this day, and they hope that the arrangements were were worthy of the occasion.
Mr Walls thanked Mr Lewis a cordial welcome. Several delegates had been facetious about coming to Goldthorpe for the meeting, but he knew that non-regretted coming, so pleasantly had they been welcomed. In addition there were always proud to visit local chambers who were as keen as those at Goldthorpe. There never was a time in the history of the trade when it was more necessary for the traders to cooperate than at present.
Delegates attending the Conference