Mexborough and Swinton Times, February 11, 1938
Sergeant Lewis Harper, of the Manchester Police, eldest son of Mr. J. E. Harper, of Green Lane, Barnburgh, the enginewright at Barnburgh Main Colliery, has been appointed Inspector. This is very rapid promotion, for Sergeant Harper has only been in the force for 14 years and he has been appointed Inspector almost immediately after passing the necessary examination.
Mrs. Harper told our representative that she was very proud of her son’s achievement. Inspector Harper was at one time a pupil of the late Mr. W. Winstanley at Dolcliffe Road School. Mexborough, and won a County Minor scholarship. He attended the Mexborough Secondary School and matriculated there.
Until he was 22 years old he worked in the Traffic Dept. at Barnburgh Colliery, leaving to become a constable in the “A” division of the Manchester Police Force. Nine years later he was promoted Sergeant and since last Thursday he has been Inspector in the Crime Information room at headquarters.
He is most likely to be remembered by local residents as the secretary of the Barnburgh Lawn Tennis Club and also through his connections with the Barnburgh Parish Church Choir.
Inspector Harper’s brother has also gone into the police force and is at present stationed at Sheffield. For many years Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Harper lived in Pym Road, Mexborough, when Mr. Harper was working at the Mexborough Loco Plant.
Not only are the two brothers Lewis and Eddie both in the police force, but both are musically minded. Lewis is a pianist and Eddie has the distinction of being an L.R.A.M.; but that will not. appear surprising to those who knew Mr. Harper in the days when he was a well-known bass singer and a member of the Mexborough Orpheus Choir.