Home Industry and Commerce Mining New Collieries – Extensions in Mexborough District (map)

New Collieries – Extensions in Mexborough District (map)

December 1909

Sheffield Evening Telegraph December 13, 1909

New Collieries
Extensions in Mexborough District
Prolific Coal Field
Harlington and Goldthorpe pits

The Mexborough district is developing into a minus paradise. Already, within a circle a few miles of the go ahead Don Valley town, the well-known collieries of Denaby and Cadeby, and scarcely less important, the Hickleton Main, the Manvers Main and Wath Main collieries.

And on the local coal matter will surely be found new concerns affording employment for thousands of miners.

Mexborough is happy in viewing the coming influx of ready money, the natural sequence to the mining enterprise now on the high road to realisation.

Barnbro, one of Mexborough’s many village neighbours, with its blood curdling legendary story of the running fight between Cat and Man, perpetuated in stone effigy within the portals of the village church, is on the threshold of landscape disturbance.

It is satisfactory to recall that a lengthy period of negotiations extending over three years, has resulted in the necessary arrangement between Mr F Montague, of High Melton, owner of the estate, and the Manvers Main Colliery Company Ltd of Wath, will open out a new colliery at Harlington close by.

Three shafts will be sunk. In two of them Barnsley and Parkgate seams of coal will be the working objective, while the third will be a relief shaft.

Mr John F Eaton, of the firm Eaton, Son and Hind, mining contractors, will have charge of the sinking operations, which work will be taken in hand as soon as possible.

This coming so soon after the sinking operations of the new Goals of Colliery promises to transform the Barbara and Goldthorpe districts into flourishing areas of industrial and commercial prosperity.

The establishment of the Goldthorpe Colliery, which will be quite a near neighbour to the Haslingden venture, has been on the board is a long time.

It is now taking practical shape alongside the new Dearne Valley Railway. The proprietors are Messrs Henry Lodge, Ltd, of the Ryhill Main Collieries, who have at leased the Shafton bed of coal from Lord Halifax.

Although the sod cutting ceremony only took place in the last week of July, coal was found in the Shafton seam at a depth of 63 yards last week. To meet the water difficulties experienced, a powerful pump was installed, and the work has been pushed forward satisfactory. This week sinking operations for a second shaft will be commenced.

Taking the Hickleton Main Colliery, which lies about a mile distant, as a guide, the coal seam is 5 feet thick, and of capital quality. The latest engineering arrangements will be applied and a successful future for the new colliery is anticipated with probable output when work is commenced of 1000 tons per day.

Altogether district developments promised to afford regular work for from 6000 to 7000 men, so that the building trade in all phases of local commercial life will benefit from these important industrial extension.