Leeds Mercury – Tuesday 20 September 1938
Goldthorpe Girl’s Fatal Burns
An eighteen-year-old Goldthorpe girl, Threza Smith, who had remained at home for the past three years to look after the house, owing to her mother’s illness, was dusting the mantelshelf when her clothing caught fire.
A neighbour was attracted by her cries, and he rolled her in a rug and succeeded in extinguishing the flames .
The girl was severely burned and died from shock at the Mexborough Montague Hospital.
At an inquest yesterday a verdict of ‘‘Accidental death was returned.
Sheffield Independent – Tuesday 20 September 1938
Sister Tells of Girl’s Fatal Burns
A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned at a Mexborough inquest yesterday on Threza Smith (18), of 52. Lesley road, Goldthorpe, who sustained fatal burns when her clothing caught fire at home on Saturday.
Her father, Benjamin Smith, miner, said the girl had been at home for three years and was in charge of the housework because her mother was ill.
Evidence was given, by her 11-year old sister Dorothy that the girl was dusting the mantelshelf when her clothing caught fire.
Witness was asleep a couch, but was awakened her sister s cries. Threza told her to get a rug and she did so, but her sister than ran into another room.
John Robert Wynne, miner, of 52, Lesley road. Goldthorpe, said he was attracted by the cries of the smaller girl, and ran into the house. He rolled Threza in a hearthrug and extinguished the flames.
Dr. R. Stuppel, resident surgeon at Mexborough Montagu Hospital, said girl was suffering from extensive burns over the whole of her body.