Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 03 January 1930
Local History in 1929.
A Diary of Outstanding Events – the Year Reviewed.
Diary of the Year.
1—Public meeting at Wombwell for the purpose of forming a Chamber of Commerce.
John James Ward (49), died of heart failure whole working in the underground engine room at Wath Main Colliery.
4—The Rev. George Turner, curate of Darfield, appointed vicar of St. Jude’s. Moorfields, Sheffield.
3—Viscount Lascelles’s arranged visit to Wombwell, to present standard to the Wombwell British Legion, cancelled owing to the death of his father, the Earl of Harewood. (See Dec. 14).
8—Wombwell Urban Council, on the suggestion of Mr. J. Belshaw, press for the establishment of an airport at Wombwell.
14— Presentation of long service certificates to four veteran local preachers of the Wath Wesleyan Circuit, Mr. E. Carr. Mr. S. Newman, Mr. W. Robinson, and Mr. E. Scorah.
11—Minister of Health opened the Sheffield Corporation’s new waterworks and reservoir at Ewden Valley.
21—Wombwell Congregational Dramatic Society produced “She Stoops to Conquer.”
24—Public library at Mexborough re-opened after conversion to the open access system.
26—Darfield Parish Church Bible Class presented a pair of story and silver candlesticks to the rector of Dartield, Canon Sorby, on his 70th birthday~.
Jump Brass Band, dormant since 1923, decidedto disband and to sell their instruments and equipment for the benefit of the Old Folk’s ‘Treat Fund.
29—Inspection of the Wombwell Nursing Division by General Sandys, C.M., C.M.G. of York.
30— Unveiling and dedication by the Bishop of Sheffield windows erected in the Swinton Parish Church to the memory of the late Reverend W.J.Peacey, M.A., Vicar of Swinton 1896 – 1910, and of Mrs and Mrs Levitt, widow and daughter of a former Vicar of Swinton, the Reverend John Levett
Methane Congregational Church UAW.
31—Mr. J. R. Yeardley on his retirement after ten years’ service as divisional clerk to the West Riding Education Committee at Swinton, received presentation from the teacher, and friends in the district, and umbers of the W.R.E.C.
3—Presentation by Viscount Halifax of a standard to the Goldthorpe British Legion, the standard being dedicated by the Vicar of Goldthorpe.
4—Wombwell Thespians produced “Joan Glayde’s honour!’
6— Thurnscoe Urban Council celebrated its 21st anniversary.
Management Committee of the Montagu Hospital acknowledged a grant of £5,120 from the Miners’ Welfare Fund in respect of the Members Main and Barnburgh Collieries.
7-11. Plant and premises of the Kilnhurst Pottery, closed on Aug. 5th, dismantled and sold.
10—Wombwell Urban Council’s “Health Week” campaign inaugurated by a special service at the Panels Church.
11– Armistice Day.
13—Sir Arbuthnot Lane, Bart., President of the New Health Society, addressed a meeting at Wombwell in connection with “Health Week.”
13-14—Local festival in connection with the British Drama Leaguer’ annual competition, held at Mexborough. Contest won by Stocksbridge W.E.A. Dramatic Group, with Synge’s “Riders to the Sea.”
19 – The Thurnscoe Urban Council increased rates for the altogether by 8d in the £.
20- Dr J. J. Huey. Medical Officer to the Mexborough Urban Council, reported lowest ever death rate recorded in his time in the town-3.8.
Dearne Valley Water Board decided to adopt a superannuation scheme for their workmen.
21—” Chrysanthemum” bazaar in aid of St. Michael’s Church, Swinton.
25–Harry Crossley, of Mexborough, beat Frank Moody, of Pontypridd (holder) for the Cruiser-weight Boxing Championship of Great Britain and the Lonsdale Belt stop
28— Dearne District Traction Bill, legalising the working agreement already in operation between the Dearne District Light Railway and the Yorkshire Traction Company, was discussed at the Wath Urban Council meeting, and a deadlock reached, seven members voting for the’ promotion of the Bill and seven against.
Farewell dinner and presentation at the Wath Wood Hospital to Miss E. J. Francis on her retirement after 15 years as matron.
3—First annual dinner and ball in aid of Montagu Hospital, Mexborough.
Statutory meetings held by the Bolton, Wombwell and Thurnscoe Urban Councils authorities of the
Dearne District Light Railway), to discuss the promotion of the Dearne District Traction Bill: Bolton voting unanimously for promotion, Thurnscoe after discussion adjourned, and Wombwell voted against, thereby rendering promotion impossible.
4- Bazaar opened in aid of Goldthorpe Parish Church.
5—Collision between two ‘buses on Roman Terrace Hill, Mexborough, resulted in injuries to 15 persons, including the two drivers.
9—Presentation by directors of the Manvers Main Colliery to their commercial manager, Mr. W. Hague, on completion of fifty years’ service with the Company.
Heavy rains caused flooding in many ports of the Don and Dearne valleys, the Wath Main Colliery being isolated and closed for two days.
10– Mexborough Rotary Club entertain Harry Crossley, of Mexborough, cruiserweight boxing champion of Great Britain.
Thurnscoe Parish Church Christmas Fayre.
14—Lord Harewood, K.G., D.S.O., President of the Yorkshire Area. British Legion visited Wombwell and presented a standard to the Wombwell branch.
16—Wath Urban Council statutory meeting decided to support the Dearne District Light Railway Bill.
Conference of Yorkshire mine owners in Leeds considered and approved the Government’s Coal Bill.
18—Swinton Urban Council decided not go forward with negotiations for amalgamation with Mexborough.
19—conference of the four local authorities concerned In the Dearne District Light Railway Bill decided to form a sub-committee, consisting of the chairman of each Council and the chairman of the D.D.L.R., to consider the position and form a policy for submission to a further conference.
Second reading of the Coal Bill passed by a Government majority of eight.
20—Announcement of appointment of Canon S. T. O. Smith, M.A., rector of Wombwell, to be vicar of Attercliffe, Sheffield
22—Mr. W. A. Lewis, chairman of the Management Committee of the Montagu hospital, broadcast an appeal from the Manchester Station of the B.B.C. on behalf of the Hospital.
Nativity play. “Bethlehem, the House of Bread,’ performed in St. George’s Church, Sump.
Marlton Urban Council, and their monthly meeting received intimation of grants from the Unemployment Grants Committee amounting to £25,000 for road widening and deconstruction.
27—Two well-known local inns, the Plumbers’ Arms, Barnburgh and the Royal Oak Inn, Mexborough’, closed as redundant.
28—The Rev. Rowland Hill, Congregational minister at Wombwell, announced his acceptance of an invitation to become pastor of Providence Place Church, Cleckheaton
The Rev. Kenneth Bond, pastor of the Free Christian Church, Mexborough, announced that he had accepted a pastorate at Newton Abbott, Devon.
31– Two cottages on the Denaby and Cadeby Colliery estate at Conanby gutted by fire.